Is it really possible to change what you’re eating
and do nothing else and lose weight? You may be wondering if your diet is enough or if you need to exercise on top of that.
People who have mobility issues or busy lifestyles may be concerned about how they’ll be able to lose weight if they can’t exercise. I would like to talk to you for a bit about how effective the diet is at helping you lose weight and answer the question of: Can you lose weight with diet alone?”
The short answer is that yes, you could lose weight without any exercise. You’re going to have to watch your calorie count, though. That’s the trick to it- you will need to take in fewer calories than what you burn up.
If you can watch your calorie counts, being careful with what you eat, you don’t have to focus on the exercise as much, if at all. Can you lose weight with diet alone? Sure, but your diet is going to have to be quite strict. The trick is to burn more calories than what you consume, and for many people, that’s a difficult change to make.
What Kind of Diet Will You Need?
Let’s focus on some of the dietary changes you may need to make in order to lose weight by only dieting. There are some foods you’ll need to avoid and other foods you may want to start eating, replacing unhealthy foods with healthy ones.
Let’s look at a few of the culprits that will keep you from losing weight. These are foods that you need to cut back on or cut out completely in order to make a shift in your overall body weight.
- Sugar – This is the biggest culprit right here, and the more sugar you can cut out, the better. Look for any kind of processed sugar, refined sugar, and other unnatural sugars to cut out first of all. These are most commonly found in syrups, sodas, and processed foods. Try to reduce the amount of sugar you put into beverages, homemade desserts, and other foods that you make or mix yourself.
- Unhealthy oil – You should look to reduce as many trans fats and saturated fats as possible. A lot of these will be found in oils that are putting your food. The cooking oil you use if you make your own food or the oils used in various fried foods and desserts may contain trans fats or saturated fats.
- Fatty foods – You want to make the change from fatty meats to lean meats. It’s always best if you can prepare food yourself, so you can control portion sizes and ingredients. If you are preparing meat, cut off the excess fat on all meats and the skin when preparing poultry.
- Carbohydrates – You’ll also need to cut back on your carbohydrates, though you don’t want to cut them out fully, in most cases. Complex carbohydrates can give you energy that lasts throughout the day, but reducing the amount of carbs you take in will help you lose weight. This can include breads, pasta, and potatoes.
What will help is to have replacement foods for the unhealthy things you’re used to eating. Instead of saturated fats and trans fats, focus on mono saturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Instead of fatty cooking oil, trade canola oil and vegetable oil in for coconut oil or peanut oil.
Here are some other tips you can try if you want to reduce your calorie intake and your overall weight:
- reduce portion sizes
- eat small, healthy snacks throughout the day (this boosts metabolism)
- eat at regular times each day
- get 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night (this normalizes your metabolism and cravings)
- bake or boil foods rather than fry them
- prepare your own foods as often as possible
- replace sodas with fruit juice
If you can make these kinds of dietary changes, you’re going to lose a lot of weight without having to hit the gym at all. Exercise is important, especially if you want to look toned and fit, but simply losing weight can be done by eating the right kind of foods and not eating the wrong ones.
How Much Weight Can You Lose with Diet Alone?
You may be wondering how effective this weight loss method is. How much weight can you lose in a month with diet alone? A healthy goal or weight loss would be from four to eight pounds in month, but you can lose more than that. Aiming for 10 or more pounds a month and then pulling that off is going to be difficult, requiring some serious discipline on your part.
If you’re going to hit these kinds of goals, you will need to follow a lot of the guidelines I’ve listed above, and you may even need to start counting your calories. How many calories you should consume each day in order to lose weight will depend on your body weight, age, and whether you’re male or female.
Determine how many calories you’re burning a day with whatever activities you do, like walking, housework, and the activity you do for your job. Bear in mind that someone who has a desk job will need to be a lot more careful about the calories they consume compared to someone who has a job where they’re moving around a lot.
You’ll also have to be careful about what foods are eating and how they’re prepared. If you’re serious about losing a lot of weight in one month just by dieting and not exercising, you’ll probably want to make your own food as much as you can.
That way, you can control the ingredients that go into it and how it is prepared. Even the oil it’s cooked in is important. Of course, if you can cook your food without using oil, that will help you to lose weight even faster.
Can It Be Done with Only Exercise?
You can lose weight with diet a little but not exercise alone. You have to be watching calories and what you’re eating if you’re going to lose weight.
You will not lose weight, however, if you’re not being careful about what you eat. It all comes down to the number of calories you’re burning and the number calories you’re bringing into your body.
Adding exercise to your diet will help you lose weight faster, but no matter what you’re doing, if you’re trying to lose weight, a diet needs to be involved. It is the most important factor when it comes to losing weight, which is why many people will try to lose weight with only diet.
If you have to choose between diet or exercise alone for your weight loss method, diet is the way to go. You may not be exercising already, but you’re definitely eating regularly. Controlling that part of your life is going to have a bigger impact on your weight loss than anything else. Of course, if you can work out several times a week and watch what you eat, you’ll lose weight a lot faster.